"Yearning for Virgin River: A Journey of Reflection and Discovery"





Last night, around 12:30 am, I finished watching a Netflix series called "Virgin River." It had five seasons so far, and the sixth season is currently under production. The story revolves around fictional characters living in a small town named "Virgin River," set in California. However, the outdoor shots were actually filmed in Vancouver and other parts of British Columbia.

Every character in this series is exceptionally kind, making it a perfect, cozy watch. Believe it or not, I'm in tears right now because of the impact this series has had on me. Mel, the female protagonist, relocates from LA to this quaint town to escape her traumatic past. There, she falls in love with Jack, a veteran and bar owner. Words cannot express how kind Mel is; she is the epitome of humility, kindness, compassion, understanding, and emotional availability, both in the real and fictional worlds. Despite her challenging past, Mel remains kind-hearted. We can see from the first moment she walked into his bar how Jack knew he would fall in love with her one day. I don't believe in love at first sight, but I do believe in the feeling of knowing we could fall in love with someone if we get to know them, and that was the case with them. Not just Mel and Jack, but the entire town of Virgin River is kind and supportive, a community where people always stand up for each other.

In a world where modern series often focus on addiction, conflict, and meaningless relationships, "Virgin River" stands out for its warmth, compassion, romance, support, and resilience. Almost every character in this series is a beacon of virtue - Mel, Jack, Mike, Doc, Lizzie, to name a few.

Friendship, love, loyalty, and romance blossom throughout the series, prompting me to snuggle under my blanket and ponder if I should move to such a town myself to find my own "Jack," "Mike," or "Doc." While I appreciate cities for their amenities, I am undeniably a small-town person, especially if that town offers views like those of Virgin River - towering mountains, lush valleys, flowing rivers, countless streams, hiking trails, and a close-knit community where "the internet is slow but the gossip is faster."

I would always choose coziness over luxury. I hail from a small village called Kundadam in the district of Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu, India. However, my hometown is nothing like Virgin River; it lacks naturally pleasing vistas, and people often lack empathy, resorting to discrimination based on religion, caste, and status, which I find unsettling. I have always wanted to leave, but the thought of leaving my family, home, and our farms fills me with devastation and guilt, leaving me in a dilemma.

But if I never try different things in life, if I never leave, if I never decide to relocate to a small town abroad, how will I know if that's what I truly want? I long to live in a place like British Columbia for at least a year to satisfy this desire. I don't have to leave my home forever, but don't I owe it to myself to live where I want to be for at least a year? I don't know if it will be British Columbia or somewhere similar, but I can assure myself that it will happen. I will live there for a while, with just a couple of restaurants and bakeries to dine at, where people accept and welcome me, allowing me to quietly pursue a job that is relaxing and doesn't demand my attention after hours. A job that lets me live rather than making me feel like a machine.

How can I remain trapped in my own mental prison, battling guilt and responsibilities, when there are millions of million-dollar views waiting for me to wake up to? One year, I could live in the hills, another year in a bustling city, followed by a year in an island town surrounded by serene beaches offering breathtaking sunrises and sunsets. Is that too much to ask? I want to be happy, to live my life, to explore and experience every beautiful place on this earth of ours.

Comments

Popular Posts